Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My experience with the heat at the 2012 Boston Marathon

I returned to Boston to run the 116th running of the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 16, 2012. Record high temperatures were reached on race day. In addition to some social and political comments I received about my post on 2010 Boston Marathon titled "Persian for Peace," someone asked me about my experience dealing with the heat at the 2012 Race. Here is the summary of my warm memories.
It was so hot that ... 4000 people dropped out of the race.
It was so hot that ... 2100 ended up in medical centers.
It was so hot that ... my goal for a PR turned to RP (rest periodically).
It was so hot that . residents on the course offered runners ice and a dip in their pool.
It was so hot that ... some thought that Heartbreak was actually a hill
It was so hot that ...global warming deniers blamed Al Gore for their slow pace.
It was so hot that ... I became delirious.
It was so hot that ... I told someone I was from Iceland (not Tucson).
It was so hot that ... I thought Tucson's Rillito Dry River Path was in Alaska.
It was so hot that ... I thought Arizona's Old Pueblo 50-miler was a 5K race.
It was so hot that ... Wellesley Girls offered two kisses to this year's runners.
It was so hot that . BAA changed the rule to allow runners to do the course in reverse.
It was so hot that ... runners ran twice past Wellesley College.
It was so hot that ... some runners ran backward in search of shade.
It was so hot that ... they decided to move BAA to Houston and call it BAAH.
It was so hot that ... this year's monetary award included cash for a portable AC unit.
It was so hot that ... the Kenyan winners had home advantage.
It was so hot that ... my warm memories will satisfy me for the next ten years.
By Kamran Talattof

No comments:

Post a Comment